The New York Daily Paper
Today's News Headlines, Breaking News & Latest News from US and World, News from Politics, Sports, Business, Arts and Entertainment.

MIKE DICKSON: Nick Krygios prepares for massive quarter-final match on back of common assault charge

0

MIKE DICKSON: Nick Krygios’ charges for assaulting his ex-girlfriend could hardly have come at a worse time as the Australian prepares for his biggest game in more than seven years

  • Nick Kyrgios has been accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend Chiara Passari
  • The incident is said to have taken place in Canberra in December 2021, police say
  • The Australian tennis star is currently preparing for the Wimbledon quarter-finals
  • His quarter-final match will be the biggest of his career in more than seven years

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

When Nick Kyrgios joked this week that there was no such thing as bad publicity, he couldn’t imagine the latest storm raging around him.

On the eve of his quarter-final at Wimbledon this afternoon, it was revealed that the Australian is the subject of a domestic violence allegation. Kyrgios has been asked to attend court next month in his native Canberra, where information will be provided about a charge of habitual assault by ex-girlfriend Chiara Passari.

According to the Canberra Times, the incident is believed to have taken place in December last year. If proven, it carries a maximum sentence of two years in prison.

Nick Kyrgios (pictured with his ex Chiara Passari) has been accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend in a domestic violence incident that allegedly happened late last year

Nick Kyrgios (pictured with his ex Chiara Passari) has been accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend in a domestic violence incident that allegedly happened late last year

The Australian tennis star, 27, who is currently preparing for a quarter-final duel at Wimbledon, is accused of assaulting model Chiara Passari (pictured together) and is due to appear in court next month.

The Australian tennis star, 27, who is currently preparing for a quarter-final duel at Wimbledon, is accused of assaulting model Chiara Passari (pictured together) and is due to appear in court next month.

The Australian tennis star, 27, who is currently preparing for a quarter-final duel at Wimbledon, is accused of assaulting model Chiara Passari (pictured together) and is due to appear in court next month.

His attorney Jason Moffett told the paper: “It’s in the context of a domestic relationship. The nature of the allegation is serious and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously. As the case is in court, he has no comment at this time, but we will release a release in due course.”

It is believed that Kyrgios was aware of the likelihood of this going public, but not necessarily the time when it would go public.

An All England Club spokesman declined to comment, but the development would have been unknown to them.

The new comes as the Australian prepares for his biggest game in seven years

The new comes as the Australian prepares for his biggest game in seven years

The new comes as the Australian prepares for his biggest game in seven years

As for his tennis, the timing could hardly be worse as he prepares for his biggest game in more than seven years, when he made it to the quarter-finals of the Australian Open in 2015.

On Wednesday afternoon, he will face Chilean No. 43 Cristian Garin, a player whose most consistent results have been achieved on clay and hard courts.

Kyrgios’ behavior has already been the subject of controversy here, most notably in his matches against Britain’s Paul Jubb and Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas.

The latter described him as a bully with an evil side, which Kyrgios denied.

Three other ATP players have faced allegations of domestic violence in the past two years: Germany’s Alex Zverev, Georgian Nikoloz Basilashvili and Brazilian Thiago Seyboth-Wild.

Kyrgios' behavior has so far been the subject of controversy at Wimbledon

Kyrgios' behavior has so far been the subject of controversy at Wimbledon

Kyrgios’ behavior has so far been the subject of controversy at Wimbledon

All have strongly denied any guilt. However, the men’s tour last year ordered a safety report in response to the publicity. It closed last October, but has yet to be recorded in the tour’s rulebook.

The Australian now has even more noise to block as he tries to set up a blockbuster semi-final against longtime opponent Rafael Nadal. The French Open champion will face Taylor Fritz from America, the number 11 seeded, in the other quarterfinals on Wednesday.

Kyrgios showed steely discipline on Monday as he made it through a five-set test against Brandon Nakashima. He had to be treated for a sore right shoulder during the match, but served at a speed of 137 km/h towards the end. He appeared on Tuesday afternoon, without comment, to practice on the All England Club courts.

All things being equal, he would prefer to beat the 26-year-old Chilean, who is the biggest surprise pack of the last eight male survivors.