British pensioner, 69, dies of allergic reaction after being stung by a BEE while riding a motorcycle in Thailand
- Stephen Prince was returning to his home in Thailand when he was stung by a bee
- His wife quickly administered antihistamines, but he later died in hospital
A British pensioner has died of an allergic reaction after being stung by a bee in Thailand.
Stephen Prince, 69, was on his way home on his motorcycle on Thursday when he felt the bee sting his skin.
Prince managed to make it to his home on Soi Kitprasarn 1 in Phuket, where his panicked wife quickly administered an antihistamine shot as he went into anaphylactic shock.
But despite his wife’s best efforts, the pensioner’s condition worsened and he lost consciousness before doctors were called to their home at around 11:50 am.
On arrival at the scene, the medics found the Briton unconscious on his bed and without a pulse. They rushed to resuscitate Prince before taking him to Chalong hospital where he died due to the allergic reaction. .
Prince managed to make it to his home on Soi Kitprasarn 1 in Phuket, where his panicked wife quickly administered an antihistamine shot as he went into anaphylactic shock. In the photo: an ambulance at the parental home
Police Captain Weeraphong Srinuanpan of Chalong Police Station conducted a preliminary inspection of Prince’s body and said the cause of death was an allergic reaction to the sting.
The expat’s remains were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital for an autopsy to determine his cause of death.
His heartbroken wife said her husband had had allergic reactions before.
He had passed out once after eating honey and lost consciousness on another occasion, when he crushed a bee in his hands. She added that the previous allergy attacks were never severe enough to endanger his life.
Paramedic Natchak Wattanaratjirot, who took Prince to the hospital, said it was the first time in his four-year career that he had seen someone die of an allergy.
Stephen Prince, 69, was on his way home on his motorcycle on Thursday when he felt the bee sting his skin
He said, “Most people who have been stung by bees only experience swelling, a rash, bruising or itching.
“I got the report of the injured man and arrived at the house. He was already unconscious when we arrived. We did our best to save him for his wife.
“This is the worst case of allergy I’ve ever seen. I am very sorry for his wife, because she was crying and very upset.”